Like most of us we work, take care of the kids, do things around the house and are always on the go leaving little time to make healthy meals which can lead to unhealthy eating habits and snacking throughout the day. Meal preparation allows you to eat your favourite meals while predetermined portion sizes ensure you don’t overindulge. Having a collection of well- balanced meals always on hand will help you regulate what you eat and help you stay on track with your personal diet goals. Some benefits of meal prepping include:
- Saves time- saving time is almost just as important as saving money. Life is so much easier when you have a meal that is already planned and made.
- Portion control
- Reduces the amount of food waste- many people buy groceries on the whim and forget about their produce and then it goes bad. Learning to prepare meals that use the same ingredients for numerous recipes will help cut down on food waste as you know what’s exactly in the fridge.
- Reduces the stress of cooking last minute
- Saves money- you won’t have to worry about spending all your money on takeout or stopping after work to grab something when you have got a freezer of meals that have already been prepped at home waiting for you.
- Helps to avoid unhealthy food options
- You enjoy more variety
Losing weight and eating healthier is a goal many people have, but it can be difficult to find the time and motivation to plan and prepare meals. Meal prep is a great way to make healthy eating easier. Meal prepping will also help you save money, eat better, lose weight, and make healthier decisions when you’re hungry.
The Busy Individuals Who Want to Eat Healthy
There are many benefits to meal prepping, but there are some disadvantages as well. For example, meal prepping takes up a lot of your time and it can be expensive if you’re not careful about what you buy. But these disadvantages can be avoided by being smart about how you shop and plan your meals. Meal prep is a lifestyle. It’s a way of life that has been around for decades but it has become more popular in the last few years thanks to social media and the rise of healthy eating. Meal prep is all about prepping, cooking and storing food in advance so that you can eat healthier, save money and have more time. Meal prep is often seen as a diet, because it involves limiting calories; but meal prep can also be used for people who want to eat healthy but don’t necessarily want to lose weight.
A meal plan is a great way to save time and money, and it can be as simple as making a list of your favourite recipes. But what if you don’t have any favourite recipes or you are just too busy to think about cooking? Here are some easy tips to help:
- Find your favourite recipe online, print it out and write down all the ingredients that are needed
- Pick up a few groceries from the store and make a plan for the week
- Create a “meal prep” day where you cook all the food for the week in one day
- Go through a local meal prep company like Fit Meals 4U and and take out all the hassle of having to shop for the ingredients and cook
Start Planning Ahead
Cooking is one of the most time-consuming and tedious tasks, right after laundry of course. Not to mention it can become a very expensive hobby. This is why it is so important to plan your meals ahead of time. Luckily, there are many resources available online that can help you do this – from meal planning apps and websites to companies like Fit Meals 4U that will make and deliver your healthy meals to you ahead of time. Meal prep is a complete lifesaver when it comes to living a healthy but busy life. Many people have found that prepping breakfast and lunch for the work week ahead of time in bulk saves them a ton of time.
Meal Prep Tips
- Keep it simple. If you are not able to plan out three meals a day for a week, that is alright. Start with either breakfast, lunch or dinner and go from there.
- Use the same ingredients more than once.
- Keep a stocked pantry and spice rack. Making sure you are stocked up with staples like butter, olive oil, onions, gals, crushed tomatoes ex… makes the meal prepping so much easier.
- Keeping a stocked freezer with meat when it goes on sale will save you not just tons of money but time as well.
- Get a planner or calendar and write down your weekly meals and grocery list ahead of time.